Cuisine du Jour

The Cuisine du Jour cooking classes at Trevarrow are the best classes I have ever taken.  I learn so much every time I attend a class.

This month, Chef Frank Turner, did Healthy Holiday Entertaining. He is the Culinary Wellness Director at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital, and oversees patient food service, catering, Henry’s (the hospital's destination cafĂ©), and the hospital’s state of the art Demonstration Kitchen. If you have never been to this amazing hospital, I urge you to go there for lunch and you will be in awe of the wonderful food. I know you will walk out healthier than when you walked in.  I salute how this hospital is healing with food!

The first recipe he made Michigan Carrot Hummus.  Now, I have to be honest, because I was looking at all the recipes he was making, I thought, “None of these recipes sound like they go together or would taste good.”  I am so glad I was WRONG!  The hummus had spectacular flavor.  Carrots, lime juice, coriander, curry and fresh ginger were the subtle background tastes, but you knew you were still eating hummus. 



The Grilled Shiitake and Asparagus Salad tasted fantastic!  We had the salad cold, but you could also eat it warm.  It tasted like a refreshing summer day (even though it was freezing outside). 




Next, he made Herb Crusted Michigan Turkey Tenderloin with Braised Organic Black Cabbage and Black Eyed Pea Ragout and topped it with Spinach VeloutĂ©.  And I thought, “I don’t think I am going to like this.”  But - WOW!  I wanted to lick my plate it was so damn good.  It was healthy comfort food.  I can’t wait to make this dish for my clients.


For dessert, Chef Frank made Gluten Free Pumpkin Bars with a Cranberry Orange Compote.    So, I took a bite expecting the worst taste ever, but found that the whipped cream between the pumpkin and the cranberry orange compote was the perfect combination of flavors!




I will never judge a recipe before I taste it again!  From now on, I want to be surprised by the fusion of flavors that I think don’t go together.   What flavor combinations surprised your taste buds?

Comments

Popular Posts